Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Korea's Got Talent

When I was stationed at Osan AB, Korea back in the mid eighties, I will never forget the children of the Heavenly Gate Orphanage singing for the Americans during lonely holidays we were separated from our families back home. (those of us who had one.) I was especially touched, knowing what it felt like to be in one those places - the only thing we were fed each day was a bowl of malt-o-meal and authorities in charge treated us far less than charitably.


The children assembled that Christmas and sang many songs, among them "God Bless America" where the word America came out sounding 'Amellica" which, for me, only added to the charm. Since then, whenever I hear that song I can still hear it exactly the way they sang it and relive the poignancy of that sentimental journey. They performed a special show to thank us for what we'd done in volunteer hours of our off-duty time to help them, but in fact, they also helped some of us in ways they probably never realized.


The following Korea's Got Talent clip reminds me of those many smaller versions of Choi,Sung-bong singing to us during our deployment overseas. This young man is remarkably talented; enjoy! :)

Homeless Boy Steals The Talent Show

4 comments:

Pearlescent said...

omg Lady S. In just a few simple words you are able to humble so easily. Before I even watched the video I was already tearing up.

Darylicious said...

Wow this guy is good. Great post Camille. Thanks!

Fashion Freak said...

A touching post and story. I hope he is doing fine now!

BacktheBlue said...

Stories like these are what keep me grounded. It's a moving reality check in a desensitized world where it's easy to lose sight of each others plight.