Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I miss Peppersdance

Thomas M. Catterson
09/17/43 - 12/01/03


Pepper was a friend of mine and authored two books: "This Pot Has Pepper" is a collection of his stop shorts and "My Father's Paradox" is a collection of his longer pieces. His poetry reached three continents, Asia, Europe, and North America. Most of his poems were centered around veterans, alcohol, (he worked in the bar industry for many years) and the deaf (his sister was a signer/interpreter). He participated on my poetry site up until 4 weeks before he died, and, in retrospect the piece now seems a bit eerily entitled "Do you remember Me?" Because he posted so regularly, I thought his sudden absence on SoulStarz was due to his prior shared plan to start a new career as an internet poetry teacher. Sadly, that never came to pass. But it's not to say I wasn't worried about him, as I knew he'd lost a leg to Diabetes. At any rate, I'd like to showcase some of his wonderful poetry today.

The last poem Tom shared with us:

Author: peppersdance
Do you remember Me? Lead [-]
Posts: 384
(10/30/03 13:25:30)

Do You Remember Me?

Last evening my mind traveled.
I dined on pineapple cakes
prepared in Chinatown, by you!
Fragrant, mango graced your table.

I have ridden with you.
Your arms around my waist;
the motorcycle blazing with heat.
We hung by a thread;

it was not all sweetness.
I never hear from you;
my symbol of love, fantasy!
Soon, your face will disappear.

I can't see your smile
walled, within the ... garden gate!

--- a 5-character chinese ku-shin




A Chance Meeting
(a Chinese 7-character lu-shih)

A cat walked with a maligned stride,
Its fur matted … bone gray in texture.
I stand on one leg, whistling softly,
With my walker supplying restricted, tedious balance.

Crazed eyes force this hunter to defend.
Our eyes lock, handicapped to incurable vanity;
Startled, startled alone in disuse another day.
Such, we turn away … our tails LIFTED.



Rosanna, This Is Gary
(a Chinese 7-character ku-shih)

Unashamed, I have finally learned to cry,
and you can hear where I’m going
from the tears running down my face.
I’m feeling, always feeling your depth within

I have asked this poet to reach,
and bring to life this wretched soul.
To shape this heart that bleeds slowly,
and together … form our lips in love.

Yes, too often do I seem insensitive,
and drive your dreams into a void.
Too often, I wish a fool’s hope,
that, that you could read my mind.

Today, I have a song to fashion
from the searchings of my shuttered being;
Let my whispers not be windblown dreams,
as our hands entwine … with elation, CRYING.




My Name …
a Chinese 5-character ku-shih )

I’m on the roof alone.
My shadow is cast below.
And none will look above,
as stifling air surrounds me.

I’m taken captive with emotions
that scream … come, notice me!
The crowd below grows deep,
while feet prance in anticipation.

Heaven is deaf to me.
I’m tired of sleeping alone.
Will no one ransom me?
My name? Is John Doe.




In the Blink of an Eye
(a Chinese 7-character ku-shih)

High upon this abandoned hutch’s wall, several
blades of grass flourish within a crack.
Moonlit nights fail to nourish waking echoes;
Yet the grass waves … seemingly with contentment.

Shrieks and sobs nearby multiply, then shrink,
as a whining beggar stares dumbly, anew.
Then, in the blink of an eye:
Flashes of light … mud in my face.

My world is roaring … sight is blurred.
With tears untamed, my pants are stained,
while shrapnel nestles within my back, burning.
Now, there is no pain … BELOW THAT.

(another’s memory, Vietnam ’69 )








I remember you Pepper.
xoxo ~Camille

6 comments:

Darylicious said...

Just by reading his poetry, I'd like to have known him! I'm sorry you lost a friend Cam.

Anonymous said...

Tom was a good man. So many poets we lost through the years. It's nice to see familar faces when we chance to. Thanks for listing both his books Camille. I was only aware of one, not two. Or maybe I was thinking of Tony?

Anonymous said...

his poetry is awesome - thx for sharing it with us - my fav is the one called A Chance Meeting. :)

Dionysian Dahlia said...

I was quite taken by his "Rosanna" poem, and "In the Blink of an Eye." Thank you for sharing his brilliant writings Camille!

Darcy said...

What exactly is a "stop short"?

Soulstar said...

Thank you Daryl, Crystal, Dahia, & Jess.

Darcy, a stop short is shih, the basic unit of Chinese poetry, which is a four line epigram of between 20 and 28 words with a surprise or revelation at the last line. Tom developed definitive rules for creating shih forms directly in English. :)