Established "Protocol" vs. Common Sense?
There's more bad news for these Texas tornado victims: there is no state aid available because the damage did not meet the state's requirements for disaster money. There are 35 homes severely damaged and 12 completely destroyed, totaling $1.2 million in damage.
However, that dollar amount is short of the $5.5 million threshold to qualify for the state aid, according to Precinct 1 County Commissioner Chico Rodriguez."Call your state legislator. I have a problem with it too. Call your state rep.
It's a state issue, not a county issue," Rodriguez said. The county does not have money allocated for this kind of disaster, but are looking for ways to help, he said." We've been working with some partners with waste management to participate in helping them out but we're still in the assessment operation right now and can't do anything unless we get some feedback from the community, but they have to call us," Rodriguez said.
George Camacho estimates he suffered a quarter-million dollar loss on his property on Ted Williams Road. His home was heavily damaged, his father's destroyed, and Camacho's two businesses were also lost in the EF-2 tornado." It's ridiculous to hear them say there's not enough damage when you look around here," he said.
Camacho's friends have been helping him clean up for the last three days, but he says he feels let down by the state and local government. "At least they can pick up the debris, I would think." He said.
He added that he's frustrated by the amount of progress in tornado-ravaged areas of Medina County, and by what he says is a lack of progress in his area."I'll take you two miles away and show you cranes and bulldozers and everything else and prisoners and all this state stuff going on just two miles away, but what do you see here? Just a group of regular Texans helping Texans," Camacho said.
"Where is Medina county? This is our county, this is our home. This is our home! Where are they at? Where are they at?"
Upon last report officials assess the tornados severely damaged 35 homes, completely destroyed 12, and at least eight people are known to have been injured. Four of those were hospitalized. Amazingly their injuries are not life-threatening.
Link to WOAI Channel 4 Coverage: Tornado victims dealing with destruction
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I can't believe the towns did not warn their citizens. Has anyone heard from Camille or Kimmie yet?
Bollocks! It would be barrister’s wet dream if any had been killed. Those who cannot make intelligent decision to warn a majority ought not hold command positions for their safety.
Not a word Crystal. I'm headed down there this weekend to check things out. Don't think kimmie was ever in any danger but I know for sure Camille's located right in the thick of it. I recognize her area from the news footage.
I’m alright, however it’s a bit disconcerting to discover the whole world essentially knows where I live now and to see the blog had more info than our locals did. Some cases here are far worse off than others but all are blessed with no fatalities. Everyone’s pitching in to help each other out the best we can. The story goes supposedly volunteers are coming in to assist. We thank everyone who has donated water, food, clothes, cots, chainsaws, their time, & muscle. I’ll get back as soon as possible and catch up but may be awhile, or sporadic short visits. No word from Coco-puff, or any SA victims, but I did hear a twister hit the southwest side so I'm worried of friends status who live by the base.
That's my fault. I'm sorry Camille. In my concern I wasn't thinking very clearly. Can I pay penance by bringing you some lumber for repairs?
Post a Comment