Monday, December 5, 2011

Dear Web Therapy

Dear Web Therapy,

I was tubing down the Guadalupe the other day when lo and behold a used tampon bobbed past me. It was disgusting and brought back memories of floating dirty diapers while I was wading in the ocean at the beach during our last vacation. I find it appalling to know materials of human waste are impacting the environment so detrimentally. As my green awareness has grown my attitude toward tampons and menstrual pads has been greatly altered. I’m going green this year and I want something environmentally friendly regarding my menstrual cycle. I recently discussed this with a friend and she told me about menstrual moon cups.

I know they come in two sizes, one for pre birth and one for post birth vaginas. Since I’ve had a C-section before do I have to use the post birth moon cup size B or would I be safe using the pre-birth cup size A? Oh, and does sex factor into which size cup I should use? Please, web therapy, my eco guilt and fear of toxic shock syndrome is getting the best of me and I need to act fast because my period is due in 4 days…

Signed, Happy Earth-Babe



Dear Happy Earth-Babe,

As your friend imparted there is a product called Moon Cup, however I’m wondering why it is the only one you have both zeroed in on. There are at least 14 other brands available. For example, Diva cup, Femme cup, Lady cup, Mia cup, and UK Moon cup, etc. I recommend that you feel around your cervix during your next period. If you have trouble reaching the cup then you have a long vagina and Diva Cup is a good option. If you can reach it easily then you have a short vagina and the Moon Cup is a better option. You also need to consider width, capacity, and shape.

Our staff thinks it’s commendable you are being such a responsible citizen concerned about minimizing your individual carbon print on the world. The environmental impact of menstrual paraphernalia stems from 97% of women in today’s society using menstrual devices aimed at ruining the environment. Personally, I have no experience using cups but have to wonder with the US in a recession, how buying a $35.00 reusable moon cup is doing anything to stimulate our economy. And last I checked, Ms. Earth Babe, tampons are made of cotton, which is biodegradable. However, if you are completely intent on using a moon cup I would recommend Size A. Being as you never gave vaginal birth to a baby, size A seems right for you. Generally speaking I’d recommend the Moon cup because they are a smaller size, will fit short or long vagina's, are mid-capacity, not too wide, narrow bodied rather than hoop-skirt and they have grips which make removal for first-time users a little easier.

It’s wonderful you have a protective stance on the environment and I applaud your choice in trying out something new. The last time I tried something new, I became a lesbian. But that is neither here nor there, except it brings me to your question about sex. Logically, sex could be factor, depending on your proclivities, the size of your partner or your sex toys, and the frequency-intensity quotient valuation of vaginal use. For instance, a wham-bam-thank you ma’am once per month would not affect a proper cup size match, but it’s possible a 24/7 bang fest could. In which case increasing your particular cup size to a B should be sufficient.

Most women won't know what cup is best for them until they are used to using menstrual cups, but after an initial try out period, (no pun intended) it's primarily down to personal preference. For more information, here is the link to a menstrual cup support community: http://www.menstrualcups.org/

You might want to specifically check out these pages:
Size charts - http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/1285963.html
Brand comparison posts - http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/tag/brand+comparisons

If all else fails this sounds like a perfect opportunity for a budding entrepreneur to compete with the original founders by creating a fashionable line of Dolce & Gabana cups, Chanel cups, Versace cups, or Couture cups for petite clients and juicy couture cups for more voluptuous divas. A percentage of the proceeds from that type of trendy venture could help offset the cost of environmental clean up efforts. You might even petition your local communities to participate in exclusive feminine product recycling. At any rate, DO write us back to let us know how your particular Moon cup experience turns out.

Signed, ~Web Therapy Staff

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

omfg - hahahaha =)

Darylicious said...

rofl I thought this was a spoof until I clicked the links and saw it's a real thing, so, um, TMI...

Enigma said...

I can't stop howling over this line:

"a wham-bam-thank you ma’am once per month would not affect a proper cup size match, but it’s possible a 24/7 bang fest could."

kimmie coco puff said...

Hahahaha! Can't wait to find out what happened with that!

Anonymous said...

Is there really such a thing as 'frequency-intensity quotient valuation' of vaginal use? LMAO I'm picturing a line of eager volunteers signing up for a bizarre sex study to get some scientific stats on that! :0

Anonymous said...

I guess now wouldn't be a good time to philosophically ask "is the cup half full or half empty?" ;)

kimmie coco puff said...

Dear web therapy, Keep posting interesting stuff....this one was funny and i laughed to the core. Thanks! I re read it and laughed all over again.

Soulstar said...

I must admit I faltered after reading the very first sentence thinking do I really want to continue? lol I'm glad I did. Thanks for the laughs, WT; I look forward to more of these! :)

tea4two said...

I'm relieved to be past the age of possibly considering this a viable option. lol