Sunday, January 8, 2012

Featured Poet ~ Soulstar

I was digging through wops archives recently and came across this jewel. :)

FOR THE LOVE OF ANDY

As I sit here tonight propped up against pillows on the bed
I cannot help but feel torn between my heart and my head.
I consider all we’ve shared of anger, hurt, joy, love, and laughter
Somehow I cannot reconcile the split between our valleys and our peaks
They are equal in stature of majestic heights and depths only the two of us meet.
Introspection, retrospection, indigestion, all come forth to greet
as I sit here tonight and think…all for the love of Andy.

My therapist says I’m an Andyholic, as though it were a filthy, dirty word
But times like these to me, it’s the most beautiful I’ve heard
Especially during moments when I allow myself to see within my heart,
A prayer for which I never want to part
Then I remember that technically we have…
but it’s only the surface of walls we’ve erected
so we think we’re protected,
yet all the while feeling rejected
but should I do as expected by my shrink...all for the love of Andy?

I rearrange the pillows and think on just what that would take;
To “Get with the Program” so to speak,
I hesitate, wondering which way is best…
Twelve steps forward, or twelve steps back?
To let love grow or regress? What to do for the love of Andy...

Is Andy there? Does Andy care? Would it matter if I stayed?
Or is it better to just move on and pretend we never played?
Never Loved? Never met?
Pretend our hearts weren’t broke into or that we never wept?
I can’t tell if I’m better off with or without you.

I hear the scooting of a chair interrupt my reveries…
and look up to see a roomful of eyes staring at me;
I shakily stand and wobble forward on my feet.
It’s my turn to speak:


“Hello…my name is Raggedy Ann

…and I’m an Andyholic.”





[For The Love of Andy was submitted by Camille back in July of 2000. With her permission, we later used it in our Writer's Workshop as a creative example of how to bring inanimate objects to life.]

4 comments:

White Owl Poet Society said...

Camille, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the Stop Plagiarism link!!! I will definately pass that around to our crew! btw, I love your fire horse pic... that's pretty inventive rather than use the boring stop sign. In fact, that's such a great idea, I think I'll customize ours too! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome story-poem Camille! =) Raggedy Ann & Andy aren't so easy to find anymore - the original real ones.

Melody said...

Oh wow. I can easily picture this piece in spoken word at a poetry jam! :)

tea4two said...

I guess that may become a reality soon? I hope so! An audio stream for our authors will be fantastic here! Terrific poem Camille. I love how you brought Raggedy Ann to life and the whole concept of how she feels about Andy. Afterall, the two of them have been paired up for years... the poor girl was overdue a good venting! ;)