Thursday, February 9, 2012

A few pass-ons

In your dashboard when you click the "new topic" button you will now see a small code in the box. The purpose for this code creates a "read more" link for short stories or lengthy articles to minimize the amount of space they take up in our main column, which essentially inadvertantly buries the posts beneath them. Having this code automatically available whenever you press "new topic," saves your having to ask someone for it or having to go find it each time you want to use this feature.

If your post is not a lengthy article or short story, simply delete the code. It's no big deal if you forget to delete it, except a 'read more' link will appear at the end of your post and when a reader clicks on it, nothing else will be there to read. However, if your post IS a lengthy article, choose a normal breaking point in your text where you would like a "read more" link to appear, (approximately one-third to halfway down the article, then grab the code and insert it there. I usually go about preparing my post (which scoots the code down to the bottom, and then when I'm ready to post, I scroll to the bottom, find the code, edit/cut it, and paste where I want it to go, or if not needed, I delete at that time if I had not already deleted it when I intially opened my new topic box.

The second thing I'd like to mention is our chat room. If you would like to join Chatterotica's chat group or use our community chat room, go to www.paltalk.com and download their free paltalk messenger. Once you've done that, add me (Lady Stetson) as a pal. Send me your paltalk screen name so I can add you as my pal. From then on, when you click our chat room link in the sidebar you should be able to enter our voice room if it is open.

Currently, it is only open if I am available and in the room. An administrator or moderator must be present or you will see a 'room closed' message and be automatically referred to our chat group page instead. Our chat group page is currently empty because we are using blogspot for Chatterotica. Eventually we may move there, or somewhere else, if we exceed our 100 author limit here, or else stay here and also use that page as a secondary location because it will allow 250 more members to be authors.

The chatroom has voice, text, and cam capabilities. You can also open a private room and it has other common features such as Lit chat users are used to. You can whisper, PM, check user profiles, etc. Once enough people join I can ask for volunteers to rotate out moderating so we can keep it open much more often, possibly eventually 24/7.

Originally this suggestion came from Jas so our members would have a convenient way to get to know each other. I also like it because we can set up Spoken Word events to recite poetry to each other, or share recipes, or even computer tips between PC techy types. It's also beneficial for those who have difficulty reading small text or get tired of typing or just want to kick back and enjoy hearing each other's voices. Musically gifted members can also play their instruments and/or sing in real time as well. There's really no end to the possibilities available with this opportunity. If you have any questions or concerns or want to volunteer to be a room moderator, email our staff using the message in a bottle icon at the top of our sidebar under Support Center.

For any paltalk issues you may encounter, they have a live paltalk help chatroom where you can receive assistance from personnel there. It's a fairly simple user friendly process but please let me know if you are still experiencing any difficulties and I'll do my best to resolve them.

Last but not least, if you are not a member of our blog but wish to comment on our members posts, I have opened up Chatterotica to outside readers who have a Google account. We look forward to your input and plan to keep it open as long as everyone is respectful and drama-free. :)

1 comments:

Darylicious said...

Thanks for the tutorial Cam!