Saturday, February 11, 2012

*Warning about a widespread scam*

I received a telephone call from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was allegedly conducting a test on our telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

After contacting the telephone company I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number. I dialed '0' to check this out, and the operator confirmed the information was correct. So did snopes.com and Truthorfiction.com It is true and also applies to cell phones!

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails and prisons, so DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE!

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW. After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone and PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's easy to be fooled by scammers. Thank you for this warning.

Soulstar said...

I might have fallen for it, depending on how good the caller was. Thank you Amber.

Rhiannon said...

Thanks Charm.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tip LC! :)