
Tony Spivey was born in Soperton, Georgia. He graduated from Vidalia High School in Vidalia, Georgia. After 16 years of active duty service in the United States Marine Corps, Tony's military career was cut short due to a service related disability.
While undergoing rehabilitation he attended and graduated from East Carolina University with a B.S. in Middle Grades Education with concentrations in Language Arts and Mathematics. He also earned an advanced certification as a K-12 Reading Specialist.
It was in college that Tony began to write. In 1996, his play A Civil Outpost was produced. In 1997, his poem I'm Leaving, won first place in poetry during the East Carolina University Literary and Arts competition. In 2000, his poem Ceramic Clown, won first prize in the Webstatic semi-annual poetry competition.
Since that time, his poetry gained him critical acclaim across the world through the Internet and led to the publication of Covered Ground.
Tony succumbed to a heart attack on April 18, 2004. He is truly missed by his family, his numerous friends, his students, and his readers worldwide.
I know this is because I was one of those friends.


Tony Spivey’s romantic, emotional and inspiring work has captivated visitors to Internet poetry sites for years. This is his long-awaited first published collection of poetry and prose in paperback book format.
Tony Spivey’s poetry appeals to anyone searching for inspiration or fulfillment in their lives; whether that fulfillment is achieved through love, conquest, understanding or inner peace.Tony finds and reproduces our deepest emotions with simple words easily read and understood. Taken from his personal life and experiences, Tony creates images drawn from the deepest reaches of his soul and lovingly presents us a gift of our own reflection in the mirror.
Here is the link if you would like to purchase his wonderful compilation of poetry. http://www.iriswhite.com/books/ts1/book.htm


5 comments:
I never knew his Mom but I remember him. RIP Poetdude.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Camille. The 3 poems on the cover are lovely. I will definately order his book. Thank you for sharing it. :)
How wonderful his book was published! :)
I hope when I'm gone someone will remember good things of me as you do others Camille. Rest in Peace, Tony.
The poetic talent in his family is such a special gift to us all. It's hard to believe today marks 8 years he's been gone. But thanks to you and others his memory and written words will live on!!! :)
Post a Comment